Monday, May 30, 2005

Not PC

I sent a comment to one of our papers and saw it printed this morning (I had a hot flush lol), anyway, this is what I said in response to an article that was written by some Uni Prof, and to this question:

With Schapelle Corby found guilty and sentenced to 20 years' jail in Indonesia, a commentator has said Australia's relationship with Indonesia has hit a low point. There have been reports of Australians wanting tourists to boycott Indonesia, that some charities are having trouble collecting money if it may be used to help Indonesia tsunami victims, and the Indonesian Embassy and businesses being subjected to abusive calls. Are you planning on taking some sort of action against Indonesia? Is it useful to punish the Indonesian people because of the outcome of the Schapelle Corby case?

My comment:

It has been said time and again by this commentator that the Indonesian legal system supports the 'innocent until proven guilty' procedure. The problem is we have not seen that put into action. Every witness, every testimony, every ounce of information for Schapelle has been deemed irrelevant right from the get-go.

This commentator does not give enough credit to the Australian public. I for one, am never 'seduced' by mainstream media or sensationalist headlines. I, like many, have made up my own mind based on the facts, details and circumstances.

Yes our relationship has hit a low. In any relationship there has to be give and take. Australia has given and given, and they have taken and taken. This case is so wrong on so many different levels and while it's sad that any action against Indonesia will hit the local Balinese first, the public cannot take action directly against the legal system or Government, but eventually the effect will work its way up. Therefore yes, I personally will not be buying any products from Indonesia, nor will I travel there.

There were many other comments of a similar vein but then others started coming out of the woodwork saying things like "get over it", "it's done now move on and forget about it", "people have to respect their legal system, accept their decision" etc, etc, etc.

Ok now my problem with that is this - respect is not always a given. Sometimes respect has to be earned.

Also, there are parts of the world where it is legal to stone a woman to death for having been raped ... just because it is legal in certain countries does that make it right? Should I just sit back and accept it? Should I respect that system?

No I should not.

And just as I will never be able to respect or accept something like that, I also cannot respect or accept a system which gives a bomber who killed hundreds of people 2.5 years and then gives someone like Schapelle 20 years.

Political correctness? Stuff it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Shauna said...

Well said!

8:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wacha doin' way down here? ;)