Saturday, July 02, 2005

Good News and Bad News

As I mentioned a while ago, I really hate being the parent of a teenager, specially a girl. I must admit though that I am one of the lucky ones. Her personality makes my job a lot easier than others have it.

She's very easy-going and hasn't an ounce of the dramaqueen mentality a lot of teens have. As a family, we've been through quite a lot over the past 5 years. It was rough on both the kids but because she was older and understood more, things hit her a lot harder ... but I am happy to say she has come through with flying colours (and much more 'intact' than I am) lol.

So what's the bad news? The Boyfriend!

I'm having a hard time dealing with the situation. Privately, I worry myself sick. Outwardly, I'm cool as a cucumber (most of the time).

We've always been good 'friends' but I've always known the right time to put my 'mum hat' on. In the past the balancing act was easy ... now it's not.

I'm lucky in that I still have a certain amount of control. She has accepted most of my rules regarding him but she also pushes the boundaries. We've had a lot of talks about things and she understands why I'm worried but I also trust her.

(One thing I was determined to instil in both the kids was to tell the truth at all times no matter how hard or scary it may be ... and they do that because they've seen first hand the pain lies cause).

Because he lives over an hour away occasionally he stays here on a Saturday night (watched like a hawk) and vice versa. I definitely wasn't comfortable with this at first (still not to be honest) so I rang his mother to discuss it and make sure they were going to be well supevised. She said she understood my concern, said if she had a girl (she has two boys) she'd feel exactly the same, etc etc .... she reassured me that my 'baby' would be well looked after and that she had laid down the law to 'T'. So reluctantly I agreed to this new arrangement.

Almost 10 months later I now feel betrayed. My baby informed me the other night that "Gayle said it's ok for me and T to sleep in the same room". WTF?????????

(I didn't put my mum hat on, I put my 'screaming banshee hat' on). No it bloody well isn't ok!!!!!!!!

Thank God I can trust my kiddo because I sure as hell can't trust THAT woman to care for her properly.

And now that I've calmed down enough, I will be making another phone call later today.

(I did have something else I wanted to say but I've rambled on about this a lot longer than I thought I would so *note to self* remember what I saw this morning).

3 Comments:

Blogger Patrick M. Tracy said...

Mush,

I don't envy you at having to try and raise a daughter in this world. Sounds like you're doing better than most, however. Sorry I don't get over here very often, but I'll try to mend my ways. Take care, and thanks for your comment on my blog.

10:19 am  
Blogger Shauna said...

Hmmmm. Interesting. That's one thing for sure. If I am ever blessed with a daughter, every little thing I ever did as a kid will come back to haunt me I'm sure.

Situations like yours are tough. I hope that you get it all figured out.

3:20 am  
Blogger Mushster said...

Firehawk,

Thanks, I can't take all the credit, she's naturally got her head screwed on right although I'd like to think I have had a little to do with it lol.

Don't feel any pressure to visit. Only when and if you feel like it. I don't worry about those things :) As for my comment, three wows I think, very eloquent wasn't I hehehe.

Fly,

Yep you will definitely be haunted. The good thing though is that it gives you a headstart in warding off evils lol.

9:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Wacha doin' way down here? ;)